Thursday, October 9, 2008

Much as I dislike to admit this in myself, I have inadvertently entertained racist notions, conveniently slipped into stereotypical thought patterns or been guilty of bigotry. Definitely not something to be proud of. Thankfully, experience has given me more awareness and humility (so I hope).

In recent years, the idea of "respect" has increasingly been bantered around my consciousness. That's a lot of what civilisation is about. Everyone has a story to tell; every person is deserving of respect; and every human being can fail.

And that is something to consider vis a vis the foreign workers brouhaha. To me, it's an ugly reflection of the class mentality that we humans exhibit from childhood. Because you don't score A's, are not good-looking, don't wear Nike shoes (my generation), don't hang with the cool crowd, you are not as good.

In adulthood, it's the house, the car, the size of the bank account, who you mix with, your title, that marks you as special. Sure, it's good to go for the best, be the best that one can be, but that doesn't imply that those who slog away in construction sites, at coffeeshops, as sales assistants, etc. are inferior. Sometimes, it's the luck of the draw, and who is to judge?

Because every human being is deserving of respect, and the same human being fails.

Talk about lust. It doesn't matter the colour of the skin or the occupations, the "colour wolves" are present across the spectrum. Men in power (relatively) have tried to take advantage of me and a humble steel worker has treated me with respect. Conversely, an ah pek tries to "bump" into me and another makes doubly sure I have enough room to feel comfortable on the bus seat next to him.

Foreign workers have shown me more simple courtesy than our well-togged chinese executive-types. Dressed in their work clothes, smelling of sweat, not a few have paused to let me climb up the bus first, while similarly, not a few chinese executives have "cut the queue" so to speak, up the bus. The reverse happens too.

It boils down to humanity. Not skin colour, not clothes, not money, not jobs, not the accessories. I like how the authors of this fluffy, slash and burn, novel series (The Destroyer), put it:

Said the driver, "Don't tell me that if we didn't have coloureds, the crime rate wouldn't drop."

"It would drop even faster if we didn't have people," said Remo.

5 comments:

Jan said...

I think race, education, and status are really inaccurate methods of gauging decency.

So often people display "respect" and "courtesy" only because of the pragmatic advantages that might result from them, rather than doing so because they are the right things to do.
Its typical that an influential person has people who suck up to him, a pretty girl gets talked to differently than a plain looking one, etc.

You can really tell a lot by observing how a person treats those whom he does not NEED to treat well.

Jan said...

btw is this blog still active?

Elsie KN said...

Hi Jan, thanks for the comment. Yes, I think so too. We are what we make of ourselves, the sum total of our choices.

I've not post anything new in a while in this blog, but it's still somewhat active, or will be again one day.

sindhu said...

Loved this one, Karen...
I agree with you, there is good, the bad and the not so good elements everywhere and it is not at all linked to the colour, the creed or to the job you do. It boils down to the person you are, the ideals you go by...maybe a bit of it is fashioned by education...

Elsie KN said...

Thanks for the comment Sindhu. It's interesting how we all have innate prejudices, and I often wonder what else have I not caught myself thinking. :-)

I'm inspired to continue this blog again and I've just downloaded an app to post here on my iPhone. Hopefully that will make the posts more frequent.